I was really craving salmon this evening. Playing the kitchen after work, I came up with this – pretty darned good, if I do say so myself! – salad for Mortgaged’s and my enjoyment during the Friday ball game. It went well with slightly peppery, very berry, syrah/pinot blend. I’m posting it here so I remember the recipe and, hey, in case anyone one else is interested.
Salmon Salad with Dried Cherries, Feta and Blackberry Balsamic Vinegrette
2 salmon filets, patted dry with a towel
1.5 TB Spice House Sunny Spain seasoning (or other citrus pepper blend)
1/4 t ground pepper
½ t granulated garlic
Pinch fluer de sel or other sea salt
2 TB olive oil
- Combine the dry spices in a prep bowl
- Rub the salmon with a thin layer of the olive oil on both sides
- The run the salmon with the spice mixture on both sides
- Let the salmon rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or so
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and heat up and oven proof skillet on the stove. Sear the salmon for 1.5 minutes on each side in the hot skillet, then transfer the skillet to the oven for 6 to 8 minutes depending on your preferred level of doneness.
2 TB good olive oil
3 TB blackberry balsamic vinegar. I like We Olive’s house blackberry balsamic, but any will do, or use regular balsamic and 2 t of blackberry preserves, preferably the natural kind with very little sugar.
2 t whole grain mustard
1/8 to 1/4 t pepper
Pinch of fluer de sel or other sea salt
- Whisk ingredients together in a bowl until they form a dressing that does not “break” when you stop whisking. Let the dressing rest in the refrigerator for the rest of the prep.
Four large handfuls of bitter baby greens (spring mix, whatever you prefer)
1/4 red onion, sliced paper thin
1/4 to 1/2 C grated carrot
1/4 C dried tart cherries
3 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Toss ingredients together in a large mixing bowl
Toss the salad with the desired amount of dressing. Divide onto two plates/salad bowls. Place the warm salmon on top and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Current Location:home, enjoying an Angels' victory and the rest of the wine
- Current Mood: satisfied